The school bus is an important component to elementary school life. Proper behavior on the bus is essential. The only adult present is the bus driver. We routinely discuss bus safety rules with the children. We ask that parents also impress their children with the need for order on the school bus, especially the need to remain seated and to talk in a quiet voice. Please review the District 204 Handbook concerning bus conduct with your child. The Handbook contains an entire section on Student Transportation including GUIDELINES FOR PROPER CONDUCT, SAFETY REGULATIONS and DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS.
Students must ride the buses to which they are assigned. Students are only permitted to switch buses in emergency situations and must have permission of the principal. Bus routes are assigned based on the maximum number of students allowed per vehicle. Arbitrary changing of bus assignments could lead to potentially dangerous overload conditions and/or lost students. Parents of kindergarten students are responsible to meet their child’s bus each day or to designate a responsible individual to be with their child during pickup and drop off times.
We ask that students and parents familiarize themselves with the following information and encourage observance of these guidelines and regulations.
GUIDELINES FOR PROPER CONDUCT:
- Be at your bus stop five (5) minutes before scheduled pick-up time.
- Be courteous to students and neighbors at bus stops and while traveling on the bus.
- Ride only your assigned bus.
- Do not ask to stop at places other than the regular stop.
- Cooperate with the driver at all times.
- Do not liter the bus or bus stop.
- Do not use profane language.
- Remain in your seat and keep aisles and exits clear.
- Do not throw objects at, on, or from the bus.
- Keep head, hands, and feet inside the bus.
- Do not vandalize equipment (seats will be assigned on vandalized buses).
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke on the bus. Obey the driver.
- Hazardous materials, nuisance items (such as boom boxes), and animals will not be allowed on the bus.
- Unauthorized persons may not board the bus.
- Riders should respect the rights of others.
The following information pertains to all students and is very important. Please follow these policies carefully.
- We assume that all students will ride the bus to and from school.
- If your child is not riding the bus, we must have a note from you stating this fact. Send the note to school informing us who will be responsible for picking up your child. All students are to be picked up at the southwest door after the designated adult has signed them out in the office. Your child will be put on the bus unless we have a written note from you. We cannot accept this change verbally from your child.
- If you plan to pick up your child on a regular basis (everyday or once a week/every week) complete a special form in the office and you will not need to write a daily or weekly note.
- For safety reasons, no student will be allowed to ride a bicycle to school.
- Students who are being driven to school should not arrive prior to 8:55 A.M. There is no adult supervision at the southwest door until this time.
- Students are to be picked up after school at 3:35 P.M.